Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 20th: Athens Feels Like Home









I am not sure that these pictures will get my point across well enough, but I will try my best with words.  To sum it up- the economic crisis that has plagued Greece since the conversion to the euro is most apparent in the lack of restoration in buildings, apartments, etcetera throughout Athens.  To say that the architecture is stuck in the 60's and 70's would be an understatement.  Though I had seen this in our first several days in Athens, it could not have been more apparent than in our last free day.  Jake and I were fortunate enough to get very lost in downtown Athens and were fortunate enough to experience the REAL Athens.  No tourism, no pretty hotels.  Just dilapidated houses and torn apart apartments.  The conglomeration of styles of architecture is derived from all over the world- which makes sense since this city has brought people from all over the world.  However, what stood out was how poorly it has been left.  To me, the ugly side of Athens was more beautiful than the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment